Last weekend we took off on the bikes for a couple of days for a much needed break. Searching for accommodations in Sarnia I came across the Insignia. At first thought I was very much “the photos don’t match the price” so off to read some reviews I went and it seemed that that the majority loved this hotel so I booked it!
- After riding all day and going through a detour we got to the hotel a little later than expected. We pulled in under the awning and went inside to checkin. Checkin was quick and easy. The lobby is really nice and well appointed. With Covid rules none of the common spaces were open.
- While checking in I asked about restaurants for dinner. That’s when I was told that patios had just reopened that day and they were required to close at 7:00 pm – it was 6:40. The gentleman at the front desk suggested the hotel restaurant as the food was really good. He mentioned that we could order and have it bought up to our room. We had really wanted to sit out somewhere but if this was our only option so be it. The manager then insisted that we leave the bikes parked under the awing and go sit on the patio and take our time to enjoy a nice meal. So off we went to the patio.
On Site Restaurant
- Both Andy and I enjoyed an amazing steak dinner. As you all know, we really like good food and the majority of the time food always taste better with good service and our service was incredible. Our waiter did everything possible to respect social distancing rules while still being a great ambassador for the hotel and restaurant. Our waiter also told us not to rush as the 7pm rule only applied to allowing new patrons onto the patio but seeing as we were served before 7pm we were fine. We didn’t linger but we didn’t rush either and not once were we made to feel that we should hurry.
- We felt like we got great value for our money. We both ordered the Canadian Prime Striploin Steak (10 oz medium rare) topped with red wine sauce. I opted for double vegetables while Andy had a serving of vegetables and roasted baby potatoes. My steak was a little more rare then Andy’s but that suited us just fine. The cost was $39.00 each
- We overheard another table talking about how amazing the pasta was as well so i have a feeling you could order anything off the menu and be happy.
- The parking garage was well lit and had security camera’s everywhere which made us feel confident that our bikes would be safe for the night. After dinner we unloaded the bikes and locked them all up. One of the things that we’re loving are the saddlebag liners that we each have. We just lift them out and go – no more juggling what to take in and what to leave.
- There was a large parking lot out behind the hotel as well so if you had a room facing the bay/river you could see your bike as well. We parked in the covered area to the side however.
- Our room was lovely. It was bright and clean with really nice amenities – the rate was great value. We’ve stayed in much more expensive hotels that didn’t come close to being this nice. The room was a little on the smaller side but it’s not like we were with other people so it was fine for the two of us.
- After riding in the heat all day it felt great to shower the dirt and dust off (which we wanted to do before dinner but there was no time to spare lol) and wrap up in the plush robe and sit have a drink and watch some tv. The shampoo, conditioner and soap that is provided is again very nice so no need to pack your own.
- NOTE: there are mini fridges available for the room, at no cost, but you need to ask to have one bought to your room. I wish we’d known this little tidbit of information the night before.
- Breakfast was different again because of Covid rules. At checkin we were told to come down in the morning and we’d be given a bag with some breakfast foods that we could either take back to our room or on the road with us. When Andy went down to get ours he was told that they’d bring it up as they needed to go to the kitchen to get a few things. What arrived at our door was a lovely try with breakfast laid out and a bowl with an assortment or juice and yogurt.
- We also thoroughly enjoyed the Nespresso machine in our room. We’ve had a Nespresso for years but it finally broke (after a lot of use) a couple of months ago. Needless to say we now have a new Nespresso machine sitting in our kitchen. Maybe I should calculate the cost of the machine into our room rate lol
This will forever be our Sarnia hotel. The staff, hotel and food was all really fantastic. As we were pulling out of the hotel the manager from the night before was pulling in and we were greeted with a huge smile and wave. I’m not sure if it was because they had just reopened or if service is always this way but we’ll find out as we plan to head back before summer is out.
Location: 226 Ambrose Street Thunder Bay, Ont
Accommodations: King Bed with Bay View
Rate: $97/night (CAA rate)
**This review is not sponsored in anyway and we paid for our accommodations.